Stratics talk about "the list" of 2016 I'm wondering

This forum is for all Ultima Online related topics. It is visible and postable by everyone, including guests.
Captn Norrington
the Apprentice Baker

Post Fri May 22, 2020 12:56 am

Jirel of Joiry wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:29 pm
Stratics sucks, period. I was banned during the great "Witch Hunt of 2016". I was actually on the list but they nailed my ass before they unleashed their mass banning. Of the people on that list the only one I thought really had it coming was Aran, cause the bastard stalked me across multiple forums.

Stratics sucked waay before that especially when Petra was running it. Now she runs the UO Official Forums under the moniker Mariah.

I have written several letters asking very nicely for my reinstatement, and I have got one answer "When hell freezes over" the rest of the letters have been ignored.

For the record "Elenni" the so called owner/agent for Stratics. I don't believe she was ever really involved with the UO community. She suddenly appeared in 2016 just as Ron Bron listed the site for sale. Then she disappeared after the sale and becoming the "agent of record" for Stratics. To me it smelled like a scam for Ron Bron to make some quick cash and still own the site. I just know everything I learned researching, stunk why I didn't pledge a penny to the Stratics Go-Fund-Me.

Oh, and the petty assholes no longer allow even the mentioning of Go-Fund me. A member of the UO community passed away His family don't have the money to bury him. My sister asked about posting about his passing and the Go Fund Me, Nexus was supposed to answer her, the chicken shit never answered. What a bunch of HYPOCRITES! They sit up and crow how they are all about the UO community. They are all about themselves.
You were banned because you threatened our administrators that you would knowingly file a false report with the FBI that we were, and I quote from your message, "harboring terrorists" due to Aran not being banned yet. You then threatened to sue us multiple times for cyber bullying if we didn't ban Aran. Yes, of course you're going to get banned when you threaten to commit a felony by knowingly false-reporting terrorism to federal agents. That's why you got the "when hell freezes over" response. There is no tolerance in any organization, anywhere in the country, for that type of extreme abuse.

Elenni was not an active UO player, she had recently returned to the game after a nearly 12 year break a couple months before applying for a Stratics position. Ron Bron is the one who hired her yes, but they did not know each other beforehand. Ron Bron and Taylor, the previous owner of Stratics, actually did know each other in real life, which is how he learned about the site to buy it when he hadn't been a UO player at all in 10+ years. Elenni is in the news industry in real life and we spoke with her many times over Skype, so it definitely wasn't Ron Bron on a new account (he was an active duty U.S. Navy nuclear submarine officer at the time, which is why he wasn't around very much compared to the rest of us and didn't publicly say much of anything about himself).

The Go Fund Me stuff was determined to just not be the right place for it because it wasn't directly related to UO. The Stratics fundraiser we ran was directly related to UO because it is a UO site. As unfortunate as it is when a UO player dies in real life, their funeral costs are not UO related. We have a memorial forum for their UO friends to honor them and their contributions to the game already. You would have been more than welcome to PM his friends requests for donations for his funeral, just not publicly. Otherwise Stratics would be flooded nonstop with people asking for money for various non-game related things, like the time either you or your sister tried to post a Go Fund Me to help pay the costs of repairs to your house after some sort of flood/fire/damage occurred. Imagine what it would be like right now with the COVID-19 financial crisis and unemployment, all of Uhall could get covered in donation posts.

Dragkiris [LEGO]
the Posting Master

Post Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Captn Norrington wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am
Dragkiris wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:05 am
Stratics is absolute trash.

I got banned for posting on the Catskills forums of killing one of the mods who were trying to solo spawns back in like 2008.

I asked to be unbanned around 2014 before I really left UO and was told that me contacting the mods to get unbanned was proof enough that I didn't respect their rules

One of UOs greatest mistakes was farming the "official forums" out to those clowns
That was before any of the current Stratics Staff were hired. We only have I think two people left from back then, and neither of them had any power whatsoever back then, they were just a normal news reporter and a moderator of the extremely small thief forum with no say over administrative decisions like that. It's rather unfair to blanket-criticize the site like that based on things that happened before any of us were running it.
So when exactly did the site go under new ownership with new people in charge?

Captn Norrington
the Apprentice Baker

Post Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Dragkiris wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm
Captn Norrington wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am

That was before any of the current Stratics Staff were hired. We only have I think two people left from back then, and neither of them had any power whatsoever back then, they were just a normal news reporter and a moderator of the extremely small thief forum with no say over administrative decisions like that. It's rather unfair to blanket-criticize the site like that based on things that happened before any of us were running it.
January 1st 2016. We won the auction where the site was put up for sale on Christmas 2015 and it took us about a week to officially transfer the ownership. Here's the proof, the "updates" section has timestamps: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stra ... been-there#/

Surprisingly, we even had the direct support of Richard Garriott to do that, aka Lord British the creator of UO. One of the updates shows him tweeting about that fundraiser to help.

While it says we were the "senior staff" at the time, nobody had been a staff member at all and/or held a leadership position for longer than a year or two because basically the entire staff team quit all at once in mid-2014 as part of a feud with the new owner at the time, Ron Bron. So in 2014 we were all either not Stratics Staff yet, or not in any kind of decision making position (I was hired November 2014, as the very first new staff member to replace the old ones, and watched every single one of the "senior staff" get hired and/or promoted).

Dragkiris [LEGO]
the Posting Master

Post Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am

Captn Norrington wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 pm
Dragkiris wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm

January 1st 2016. We won the auction where the site was put up for sale on Christmas 2015 and it took us about a week to officially transfer the ownership. Here's the proof, the "updates" section has timestamps: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stra ... been-there#/

Surprisingly, we even had the direct support of Richard Garriott to do that, aka Lord British the creator of UO. One of the updates shows him tweeting about that fundraiser to help.

While it says we were the "senior staff" at the time, nobody had been a staff member at all and/or held a leadership position for longer than a year or two because basically the entire staff team quit all at once in mid-2014 as part of a feud with the new owner at the time, Ron Bron. So in 2014 we were all either not Stratics Staff yet, or not in any kind of decision making position (I was hired November 2014, as the very first new staff member to replace the old ones, and watched every single one of the "senior staff" get hired and/or promoted).
Thats good to know. I'll retract what I said about Stratics then. As stated I was banned in 08, and although I was a shithead back then I do feel it was excessive. I tried going through proper channels to get it overturned from 2012-2014 when I left the game (I just came back).

Also, any chance the Dragkiris account can get unbanned and I can recover it?

Captn Norrington
the Apprentice Baker

Post Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm

Dragkiris wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 am
Captn Norrington wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 pm

Thats good to know. I'll retract what I said about Stratics then. As stated I was banned in 08, and although I was a shithead back then I do feel it was excessive. I tried going through proper channels to get it overturned from 2012-2014 when I left the game (I just came back).

Also, any chance the Dragkiris account can get unbanned and I can recover it?
I researched your old accounts and spoke with one of the owners in charge of unbanning people on your behalf, made my case to support your unbanning etc. but cannot promise anything. Please send an email to Leadership@stratics.com with as much old log in information for your Stratics accounts as you remember and make your case for being unbanned. That email address goes to all of the owners, who then vote on unbanning or not (tell me if you don't get a response in like a week or so, sometimes stuff ends up in their spam). I found your original account, and it looks like it may not be recoverable due to technology issues. When I click the link for it, it just goes to a dead Vboards page not found screen since we switched from Vboards to Xenforo around that time. I'm unsure if an admin could figure out how to fix that, but one of your ban evasion accounts or a new account could be reinstated instead if nothing else.

For your own information, and this was kind of a pain to find, here are some of the remaining warning records we still have on your old accounts (attached to this post). I found a few justified warnings, but by our standards today you're right that they warned you a lot for kind of unfair reasons. I even found one where you got warned for calling people "you sons of waffles" lmao. The one where you said gay people should be executed at the bottom of this post 100% would still get you perma banned today though, so that one is definitely justified. Threatening to hack or ban the moderator was justified too but they probably overreacted by making it a perma ban.

Original account name: Dragkiris
Ban evasion account 1: Dragkira
Ban evasion account 2: Fangs of Dragkiris
Ban evasion account 3: Requiem
Attachments
Untitled11.png
Untitled12.png
Untitled13.png
Untitled44.png
Untitled66.png

Dragkiris [LEGO]
the Posting Master

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 am

We're all those infractions by "Kelmo".

There was a mod I was at war with, I just can't remember his name for sure, but I think it was Kelmo.

And yea I did do some shittyheady things, I admit to. However, much if it was provoked 🤣😂... To be 22 again lol.

I do appreciate you digging that up.

However I no longer support the execution of homosexuals (for some reason I feel the need to point that out)

Captn Norrington
the Apprentice Baker

Post Mon May 25, 2020 8:24 am

Dragkiris wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 am
We're all those infractions by "Kelmo".

There was a mod I was at war with, I just can't remember his name for sure, but I think it was Kelmo.

And yea I did do some shittyheady things, I admit to. However, much if it was provoked 🤣😂... To be 22 again lol.

I do appreciate you digging that up.

However I no longer support the execution of homosexuals (for some reason I feel the need to point that out)
No, I found about 8 of your old warnings and none were from Kelmo. They were from 4 other different mods/admins. Wouldn't be surprised if you were at war with him though, he tended to have the least lenience of the staff at the time, particularly against trolling. I have to give him props though, because even though we had extremely different visions for the site and he wasn't on staff anymore, he was one of our top 3 donors of over $1,000 during the fundraiser and was the person who did more word of mouth advertising than anyone else for it. We probably wouldn't have won ownership of the site without his help.

Dragkiris [LEGO]
the Posting Master

Post Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am

I'm curious now. Why was the site sold, and what's the vision for the new direction of the site.

Did it have anything to do with EA taking back "ownership" of the official forums

Captn Norrington
the Apprentice Baker

Post Tue May 26, 2020 1:21 pm

Dragkiris wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am
I'm curious now. Why was the site sold, and what's the vision for the new direction of the site.

Did it have anything to do with EA taking back "ownership" of the official forums
Stratics used to get sold pretty often. Every 3-4 years a new person would buy it, try to convert it to their personal vision, fail terribly after pushback and revolt from their own staff members who didn't like the community focus being pushed away in favor of one person's goals...and then the owner would give up and sell it, only for a new owner to repeat the process. It's even previously been owned by both BBC, the British television station, and IGN the really well known game guide writing company.

The last time it was sold, it was actually pretty straightforward. The owner at the time bought the site because he wanted to get into an Ivy League business school for his MBA and wanted to show that he owned a fully staffed company on his application to strengthen it, plus get some practice being a manager. So he bought Stratics, owned it like for like two years, got into Dartmouth business school, and then immediately put the site up for sale once accepted since he didn't need it anymore.

We as the staff were obviously irritated by that, considering our labor and the community were used purely as an extracurricular activity on someone's college application....and had been abused by previous more corporate type owners like BBC/IGN too. We created the fundraiser to buy the site ourselves in the name of the UO community to prevent continuing the cycle of owners using the site for their own random reasons instead of for the good of the UO community. We weren't even told in advance that he was selling the site by the way, the staff learned about the auction less than two weeks before it ended and had to throw together that entire fundraiser from scratch in like two days.

It had nothing to do with EA making their own official forums, that actually happened a couple years after we already owned Stratics due to 10+ yeas of drama which reached a breaking point. Long story short, some of the EM's who posted on Stratics and some of the posters who use UO almost exclusively to sell gold had been lying to the UO producer and falsely accusing us of doing shady things like exposing UO staff member's identities on their personal accounts with IP tracing...which we didn't do. We did know who almost all of them were and did have the ability to IP trace them, but that power was restricted exclusively to 3 people and none of us did the stuff they were claiming.

We try to keep the vision for the site closely aligned to the goals stated in the fundraising campaign, which has been explained over the years in various yearly update threads.

Original fundraiser stuff:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stra ... been-there#/

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... -a.358946/

Yearly updates:

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... 20.413996/

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... 17.393105/

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... 17.384377/

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... 16.361237/

https://community.stratics.com/threads/ ... 16.363482/

TL;DR: We listen to what the Stratics community wants as far as new content, new tools, moderation concerns etc. and each issue that gains popularity is discussed at length with the current board of directors until a solution is planned. Usually each issue gets championed by one or two of the long-serving staff members to ensure they can present it as passionately as the community does. I'm usually the person that presents moderation issues, and have had a particular focus on the trade forum content/policy/community engagement improvements due to my previous roles as head of the moderation team and trade forum administrator. Our board members have specialty areas as well (Site support, moderation, content creation etc.) and rotate with the goal of never having less than 5 board members at a time to make sure no one ends up with too much power. I used to be a board member, but rotated back to normal staff because I enjoy direct community interaction, public relations, and being able to immediately fulfill small community requests more than months-long policy writing, implementing new software, and financial management