Exciting news from the 20th anniversary party!

This forum is for all Ultima Online related topics. It is visible and postable by everyone, including guests.

Which multiboxer will be the first to have their account actioned?

Blazing Inferno
15%
Dan
26%
De Leet Ed
41%
Fanta
No votes
Slick Rick
19%

Total votes: 27

Aeyko [UMAD]
the PVP Champion

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Link wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm
Aeyko wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:22 pm
And after they spend the resources to do that, what are thy going to do? Ban the 15 accounts of said multi-boxer when all of UO's population probably isn't 200 people strong.
That is quite the hyperbole when they just had the anniversary party with over 200 players in attendance. Of the people there only 40 played on Atlantic. And they confirmed subscriptions are still split 50/50 between Asian and Western shards. When you consider all this data, there are a lot of people still playing UO.

At least 400.
400 spread out across how many shards? I do not see them cutting their revenue on a game with such a limited revenue base. I could be wrong, it wouldn't affect me either way. Maybe some change will spice up the game to drive more of the older players back as well, who knows?

Link [HOT]
the Legendary

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

The 400 number was a joke. The number of subscriptions is in the tens of thousands.

Aeyko [UMAD]
the PVP Champion

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Link wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm
The 400 number was a joke. The number of subscriptions is in the tens of thousands.
I find that hard to believe just based on the general population when I last played which was the most active I'd seen the game in years. The pet changes to PVM I knew would bring a great deal of interest but I did not see the 10's of thousands playing even when I x-sharded on a regular basis. I found myself encountering the same handful of people across most every server. For UO's sake, I hope for the best.

Link [HOT]
the Legendary

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm

The average UO player probably has 3 accounts. The average player at the party was like 6 accounts.

Blazing InfernO [God]
the Grandmaster Typist

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Aeyko wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:49 pm

I find that hard to believe just based on the general population when I last played
:lol: :lol:

Rafman
the Eldest Elder

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Link wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm
Rafman wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:34 pm
Some guy runs 5 accounts at an EM event to get 5 items. How exactly is EA going to manage to prevent it, outside of saying "its illegal".
It is extremely obvious when someone is multi-boxing at an event. You can tell within 1-2 minutes of watching them. All the characters stand on the same tile, have the same skills, cast spells simultaneously, etc. They might even perform some technical checks such as seeing if they are all the same IP address.
Okay.

So let's say there's an event on atlantic. You know - the ones where there's like 200 people and 100 dragons present. And where lag is insane.

How in the world is a GM going to come in there, identify the people multi-clienting and ban them? It's just not gonna happen. UO has never been able to identify/ban people with multiple accounts in the past, it's not going to start now. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Rafman
the Eldest Elder

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Aeyko wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm
Link wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:56 pm

That is quite the hyperbole when they just had the anniversary party with over 200 players in attendance. Of the people there only 40 played on Atlantic. And they confirmed subscriptions are still split 50/50 between Asian and Western shards. When you consider all this data, there are a lot of people still playing UO.

At least 400.
400 spread out across how many shards? I do not see them cutting their revenue on a game with such a limited revenue base. I could be wrong, it wouldn't affect me either way. Maybe some change will spice up the game to drive more of the older players back as well, who knows?

You really think there are only 400 subscribers?

There's probably closer to 50k active subcribers still.

Aeyko [UMAD]
the PVP Champion

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Rafman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm
Aeyko wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Define active.

Link [HOT]
the Legendary

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Aeyko wrote: Define active.
They play World of Warcraft while waiting for something good to come out in UO.

Happy Rage [FS]
the Expert Troll

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Lynk > Link

Cetric [FS]
the Expert Troll

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Happy Rage wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:22 pm
Lynk > Link
Huh? I thought they were the same person.

Pappy [Ni]
the Posting Master

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Rafman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm
EA has been very tight lipped about the real numbers for many years now.
I'd gander it to be around 10-k total paying subscriptions for all servers combined.
This would mean say roghly 400 actual people per server (VERY rough estimate) whom have say 3 accounts each and only play on one of them and use the rest for more housing/storage.

This STILL makes EA a very good profit margin considering the low cost of production of the game.
It's a FAR cry from the income that each version of Madden makes them for certain but they (EA) doesn't have to re-do/update UO each year either.
Just pay Messana and 1-2 other devs and 3 hindu tech support people for the year.

Oh and to answer your question about multi-boxing.... it's not just running 2 clients. It is using multiple clients all controlled by one. (not manually controlled seperately) meaning that the person is simutaniously controlling ALL of the clients. This can be abused for certain in PVP situations.( one man zerg ) but apparently people are most upset about it's use in collecting event rares as 3-6 k of insurance isn't 100-mil to 1-plat for some EM event item.

I could be mistaken but i think EA gave the green light to running multiple clients long ago but there is a big difference between swapping from client tab to client tab manually and "multiboxing"

Olcher
the Moongate Journeyman

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Rafman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 pm
Link wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:38 pm

It is extremely obvious when someone is multi-boxing at an event. You can tell within 1-2 minutes of watching them. All the characters stand on the same tile, have the same skills, cast spells simultaneously, etc. They might even perform some technical checks such as seeing if they are all the same IP address.
Okay.

So let's say there's an event on atlantic. You know - the ones where there's like 200 people and 100 dragons present. And where lag is insane.

How in the world is a GM going to come in there, identify the people multi-clienting and ban them? It's just not gonna happen. UO has never been able to identify/ban people with multiple accounts in the past, it's not going to start now. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
As Link said it's obvious. Extremely obvious. 12+ characters, all the same template, casting the same spell at the same time, all standing on the same tile/moving synchronously, performing the same actions, etc. Doesn't have to just be at events either. I've seen it used for PVP multiple times. 6 stealth archers 1-shotting people instantaneously.

Yes, UO absolutely has been able to identify your accounts based on IP. I would not be surprised if they used that as a final 'check' before they get the banhammer.

Olcher
the Moongate Journeyman

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

de LEET ed wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:12 pm
Crunch wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:44 pm

you sound SUPER triggered here
Hes far from triggered, but lets be realistic here...

Olcher comes to these boards trying to be funny about people having "uo as their only income" but if you break down the facts..

Olchers has been doing every event every month for over 6 years, thats a whopping 30ish average hours a month!
12 months in a year... x 6 years (minimum) ..
Thats 2,160 hours, or 90 days straight (at least) this guy has spent staring as his uo screen trying to get an item to sell for $10.00
He doesnt pvm, doesnt pvp, doesnt have a guild, doesnt really have any friends, so that means his only reason for playing this game is to make money.
(2,160 hours + of it)

But he comes here to try and make fun of other people that he actually knows nothing about :lol:

Hes the perfect definition of an internet troll (trollcher) :roll:
Here's some math for ya:

Average human breathes 15 times per minute. de LEET ed due to being a fatty double that. De leet ed is 30+ years old. 30 years is a lot of minutes. Better stop breathing buddy.

DannyDan [GOD]
the Adept Flamer

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Olcher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm
Rafman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Okay.

As Link said it's obvious. Extremely obvious. 12+ characters, all the same template, casting the same spell at the same time, all standing on the same tile/moving synchronously, performing the same actions, etc. Doesn't have to just be at events either. I've seen it used for PVP multiple times. 6 stealth archers 1-shotting people instantaneously.

Yes, UO absolutely has been able to identify your accounts based on IP. I would not be surprised if they used that as a final 'check' before they get the banhammer.
Retarded suggestion, I know of 50 people who use the same IP with WTFAST/PINGZAPPER etc. This could result in a lot of players getting banned for no aparent reason.

Olcher
the Moongate Journeyman

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 pm

DannyDan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 pm
Olcher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Retarded suggestion, I know of 50 people who use the same IP with WTFAST/PINGZAPPER etc. This could result in a lot of players getting banned for no aparent reason.
Retarded response. Are all these WTFAST/PINGZAPPER 12+ characters, all the same template, casting the same spell at the same time, all standing on the same tile/moving synchronously, performing the same actions, etc.? As I said, could likely be as a final check. I feel like you didn't even read why I typed and just rage quoted me.

edit: on second thought there's no way some gaming VPN only uses one outgoing IP for their clients worldwide.

DannyDan [GOD]
the Adept Flamer

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Olcher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 pm
DannyDan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Retarded response. Are all these WTFAST/PINGZAPPER 12+ characters, all the same template, casting the same spell at the same time, all standing on the same tile/moving synchronously, performing the same actions, etc.? As I said, could likely be as a final check. I feel like you didn't even read why I typed and just rage quoted me.

edit: on second thought there's no way some gaming VPN only uses one outgoing IP for their clients worldwide.

Firstly, Who knows the extent of what they deem as multibotting at this current moment. There has nothing but informal words given at the 20th and, multibotting could include if you had chars in other locations etc. So that's my logic behind this one. Which, to me does not seem too far fetched.

Secondly, It's the way the ping jumps through servers, and the IP address will be the last server it has jumped through, so yes a lot of people could have the same IPs due to this.

Bw-LLTS
the Expert Troll

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 pm

DannyDan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 pm
Olcher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Firstly, Who knows the extent of what they deem as multibotting at this current moment. There has nothing but informal words given at the 20th and, multibotting could include if you had chars in other locations etc. So that's my logic behind this one. Which, to me does not seem too far fetched.

Secondly, It's the way the ping jumps through servers, and the IP address will be the last server it has jumped through, so yes a lot of people could have the same IPs due to this.
The extent? They deem it as watching a single JV Benchwarmer die, as the ghost never stops for a single second but continues to follow the group.

But - I've always been Team Balinor - so I may be biased.

Bane321
the Eldest Elder

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 am

DannyDan wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Of course they gave some informal nonsense that doesn't really explain anything. I don't think Broadsword even knows what "formality" is. Have you ever read their patch notes? It's like watching Gwin try to write legislation for the U.S. government.

de LEET ed
the Adept Flamer

Post Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:55 am

Olcher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm
de LEET ed wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Hes far from triggered, but lets be realistic here...

Olcher comes to these boards trying to be funny about people having "uo as their only income" but if you break down the facts..

Olchers has been doing every event every month for over 6 years, thats a whopping 30ish average hours a month!
12 months in a year... x 6 years (minimum) ..
Thats 2,160 hours, or 90 days straight (at least) this guy has spent staring as his uo screen trying to get an item to sell for $10.00
He doesnt pvm, doesnt pvp, doesnt have a guild, doesnt really have any friends, so that means his only reason for playing this game is to make money.
(2,160 hours + of it)

But he comes here to try and make fun of other people that he actually knows nothing about :lol:

Hes the perfect definition of an internet troll (trollcher) :roll:
Here's some math for ya:

Average human breathes 15 times per minute. de LEET ed due to being a fatty double that. De leet ed is 30+ years old. 30 years is a lot of minutes. Better stop breathing buddy.
Sure thing bud, glad you had no response, shows how right i am. Keep trolling trollcher