The Mondain's Legacy expansion introduced the concept of player races to UO. Currently there are three: humans, elves and gargoyles.
- Carry 60 stones more weight
- +2 Hit Point Regeneration
- Jack of all Trades - 20 base skill in all skills
- Permanent Night Sight
- 75 Energy Resistance cap
- +20 Mana Increase
They are dumb. Don't be one!
In today's UO the warrior template is no longer divided up into Swords, Macing and Fencing. It is now based on the supplementary skills you pick up such as Chivalry, Bushido, etc. With the Use Best Weapon Skill item property on a weapon, it can be used by any skill with no penalty. The vast majority of warriors either use Swordsmanship or Fencing because speed trumps slow weapons. It does not matter which you pick unless you have a specific weapon you want to use already in mind. Your choice of weapon comes down to the Special Moves it has.
The following skills are standard on all warrior templates
- Weapon Skill - Either Swordsmanship or Fencing. As high a skill as possible, if go beyond 110 in any skill it should be this one.
- Tactics - Required to perform special moves. Only 90 is required to perform both specials.
- Resisting Spells - This skill is not required. It can be supplemented with items such as a trap box to break Paralyze and remove curse apples. The pros and cons have to be weighed for the template you choose to build and whether Resisting Spells can be dropped. If you don't use Resisting Spells be ready to cure all the time because you are unlikely to ever resist it. For a complete list of the spells that can be blocked/reduced see the Resisting Spells page on UOGuide.
- Focus - If you have skill points left over, spending them on focus is an option. For every 10 focus you get +1 Stamina Regeneration. For every 20 focus you get +1 Mana Regeneration. Having anything but a multiple of 10 in focus is pointless. If you end up with all medable armor, spending it in Meditation would be a better idea for every 10 gives you +1 Mana Regeneration.
Here is a more classic template design.
- Weapon Skill
- Chivalry - This skill was introduced with the Age of Shadows expansion. It turned the warrior class from click and run into a more tactical mage-like class. The skill lets you cast spells that heal, cure, do extra damage, replenish all your stamina, an area attack like Chain Lightning, etc. You can read about all the spells on UOGuide. How much Chivalry you train is up to you. It is unique in that ~60 skill will let you cast major spells like Close Wounds (healing) and Divine Fury. If you want to Holy Light, then you go to 95. If you are going to be using the curing spell as your main curing source, then 100 or better is needed.
- Anatomy - When combined with Healing it can cure yourself and resurrect other dead players. The bandage timer has been cut in half to about 5 seconds at 125 dexterity. It also enhances damage like Tactics, but not as much. Going to 100 skill is standard.
- Healing - Heals damage. When combined with Anatomy it can cure poison at 60 and resurrect dead players at 80. Going to 100 is standard.
- Resisting Spells or Optional Skill - The final skill is up to the player. Poisoning, Parrying, Ninjitsu and other skills can be used.
This template relies on the Samurai Empire expansion skill Bushido.
- Weapon Skill
- Bushido - This skill may seem useless having only 6 abilities, but a couple of them make it extremely strong. The biggest ability is Evasion, a tactic that lets you completely block ~30% of all damage. This includes Magery spells, explosion potions and any other damage source. For Evasion to work you need the Parrying skill but you carry no shield, just a two-handed (higher evasion chance) or one-handed weapon. The Confidence ability lets you regenerate about 30 health in a couple seconds or until you are damaged. The Lightning Strike ability gives you 50% Hit Chance Increase when activated and a chance to perform Armor Ignore depending on your Bushido skill level (about 20% at 100 skill). For Bushido you will want to go to 110 at least because the abilities tie directly into your skill level.
- Parrying - This skill is required in the Bushido template because of the Evasion ability. The higher your Parrying, the more you will evade. But you want to Parry with only a weapon, no shield. Using a shield has a heavy penalty when you have the Bushido skill above 20. Two-handed weapons will allow you to parry better than a one-handed weapon. The weapon will parry physical attacks just like a shield would when Evasion is not activated. Since Evasion is based on parrying chance, 110 minimum is needed in the Parrying skill.
- Two Other Skills - Here is the chance to customize your Bushido Warrior. If you decide to go with Resisting Spells then only one skill is available. If you don't then two. You could pick up Anatomy and Healing for extra damage plus another way to heal. You could go Resisting Spells and Chivalry for the magical defense plus variety of extra spells. It is really up to what you want to play with.
* to be completed